Latest News

“My movie is a result of my life experiences!” – SUKUMAR

Written by Unknown - November 5, 2011




His latest movie 100% ran successfully to packed houses everywhere. His peers and critics are hailing him as one of the best contemporary directors around today. But ace director Sukumar remains unfazed with all the attention coming his way. He is still the same down-to-earth person as he was when he had just entered the industry. Starz catches him in a delightful interview as he opens up about his recent success and a lot more…
How did you get the idea of making 100% Love?
In student life, the competition between two rankers is very interesting. During my school life, I was the topper till my 10th. At that time there was purity in the selfishness and jealousy between the students. But now, the definition of selfishness and jealousy has completely changed or rather it has become impure. With this concept in mind, I always had this idea to make a film on the subject. And 100% Love is the result of this experience.
You have made only 4 movies in 7 years of your career. Why does it take so much time?
I take time to come to a clear decision on the screenplay. For one given situation, we have various options in the screenplay as there are different permutations and combinations. I could not come to a final conclusion and was confused. Sometimes I was not satisfied with one thought and the way I was proceeding. In such situations, I think it over and take my time till I am satisfied.
Tell us something about your thought process?
I wouldn’t say 100% Love is totally a new theme. I always like to do something different from others. A new story or theme gives me a driving force and strong motivation to do the film. A new flavor in the screenplay gives a lot of excitement.
You made 100% Love and Arya. Are they derived from your real life experiences?
Real life experiences and thought processes both put together form a film. Arya and Arya-2 are movies that evolved from a thought process about love. 100% Love is derived from my real life experiences.
What is love, according to you?
Man is a social being. Earlier I thought love is about living forever like we see in the movies only. Now I feel it is foolish to think that we cannot live if somebody leaves us. It is true that we miss them and feel sad about it. I have experienced actual and unconditional love only after seeing my newborn daughter.
Apart from 3 love movies, you have also made a violence-themed movie Jagadam. What do you think went wrong with it?
Jagadam has come from a world of experiences. I was a very violent natured person when I was young. I feel every human has violent feelings inside him but we suppress it but sometimes it comes out some way or the other. If Jagadam was a hit, then all the producers would have approached me to make such violent films only. As Arya was a successful film, the producers branded me for these love themes and thus approached me. I am not particular about making only love films. Frankly speaking, I am interested in making violent films, because those excite me a lot.
You were a lecturer first and then a director. Tell us something about your journey.
My journey started as a lecturer. I used to teach Maths in Kakinada and eventually my passion for movies brought me to Hyderabad. I later worked as Assistant Director to VV Vinayak for Dil and then I turned director with Arya. Being a lecturer, film direction was an easy job as I know the nature of the students who are also the audience.
What inspired you to show heroes with negative shades in Jagadam and Arya-2?
According to me, a hero always having to be a positive character has created boredom, and there is no excitement left. In my opinion, a person is a combination of all attitudes whether positive or negative. A society creates a person in such a way that all his negativity is suppressed inside and only the positive side is seen outside. I tried showing this in Arya-2 as well where the hero promises not to be proved bad.
Your movies always look so fresh in terms of visual appeal. How is that?  
It’s all about team work. As a director, I lead my team and it helps that they are a creative lot. I am very particular about my properties in my films. My team cooperates a lot with me in making the visuals look so unique in my films.
What was your most challenging scene during the making of 100% Love?
It definitely has to be the steps Scene. I was confused whether I would be able to capture the emotions and body language correctly. But Chaitanya performed very well there, catching the scene properly. The scene was shot during night and all the buildings were lighted, which took 4-5 hours and we then proceeded with the shoot.
What are your future projects?
We are making 100% Love in Hindi. We are yet to finalize the casting. I am also planning a movie with Mahesh Babu. I am waiting to narrate the story to him.
Who are your favorite directors that inspire you?
There are so many wonderful movies and worthy directors who are enormously talented. Mani Ratnam, Ram Gopal Varma and Krishna Vamsi are my favorite directors.
Favorite Movies
Antuleni Katha, Swatimuthyam and Geetanjali!
Favorite Actors
SV Ranga Rao and Allu Ramalingaiah

You always prefer to stay away from the limelight. How do you get manage?
I am an all-time hero for my mother and she pampered me a lot as I was the youngest in the family. I am always in her limelight (smiles). I got married two and half years back and have a beautiful daughter who is my stress reliever. I don’t need anything else.
Who are your closest friends in the industry?
Bunny, Devi Sri Prasad and Vasu!
What makes you happy in life?
My wish is to visit the whole world, to see new places and meet different people. Old structures attract me the most.
5 years from now…
I want to make a high budget historical movie.
Your message to your audiences
Don’t take movies too seriously. Just enjoy them.

Follow our website on Twitter, become a fan on Facebook. Stay updated via RSS


Advertisement